Leave Comparison Behind: Seek Your Own Goals for Greater Fulfillment
Succeeding in life can seem like an uphill battle. You're probably striving for the same things as everyone else.
Especially now with social media, there seems to be a certain standard as to what’s an acceptable measure of success. But think about it. Don’t you think it's time to take a step back from comparison, ignore what the world is saying, and pursue goals based on what’s important to you – not someone else?
Consider these ideas as you start aligning your actions with your own goals:
1. Set meaningful goals. Aim to achieve things that will bring you personal satisfaction.
· What would make you happy? Is it something you can realistically achieve?
· Set smaller goals that lead up to the larger goal. This will help you feel like you're making progress as you accomplish each step. (See my blog about SMART goals here.)
2. Avoid comparing yourself to others. It's extremely difficult to successfully compare your situation to somebody else's. No two lives are exactly the same. Instead, evaluate your current life and see how close it aligns to the life you want to live. Then, work on the areas that may be lacking based on your personal standards.
· Are you pushing yourself hard enough? Are you doing whatever it takes to achieve your goals?
· Comparing your situation to somebody else's isn’t productive for either of you. The other person is busy enjoying their life, while you’re beating yourself up because your life is different from theirs.
“Comparison is the thief of joy.” — Theodore Roosevelt
3. Live your truth. It doesn’t matter if your college friends are all married with kids. That doesn’t mean you should be living the same way! It simply means that your timing is different. YOU ARE EXACTLY WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!
· Take a moment to consider what you've done that your friends haven’t. Each person’s plan is unique.
· Take a relaxed approach to achieving your goals. As long as you put in the work, it will happen. Believe in yourself and your goals.
4. Find happiness in simplicity. Some of the greatest joys in life are the simple ones. Yet, it's easy to overlook their impact. Instead of striving for complex victories, start with the simple ones. You'd be surprised at how happy they can make you.
· Maybe you love going out for ice cream on a Sunday afternoon. As trivial as it sounds, this may bring you more happiness than buying a brand name handbag!
· The absence of complexity often leads to a stress-free existence. You might think you want a vacation home and a portfolio full of great investments. But, it’s okay if those things aren’t in your life because you can avoid the added pressure of having them.
It's unlikely you'll ever be truly happy if you continue competing in the rat race and comparing yourself to others. At the end of the day, happiness is what you're aiming for. Forget about competing against the world. Instead, compete against yourself. Push yourself to do more. You'll soon realize that you can achieve more success than you ever imagined.
Affirmation: "I choose to be happy and grateful."